110g butter, softened
10g Total Sweet Xylitol
225g plain flour
½ tsp chilli powder
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
A good pinch of mustard powder Around ½ tsp
A small pinch of salt
2 free range eggs
4 tbsp milk
75g well-flavoured mature Cheddar cheese
You will need:
A greased 12-cup muffin tin and
12 muffin-size paper cake cases
These only have a small amount of Total Sweet in, but the added sweetness helps bring together the awesome flavours in these fiery muffins.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C(fan ovens) or equivalent
- Whizz the butter and Total Sweet together in a food processor.
- Add the raising agents, chilli powder, mustard powder and salt to the weighed flour. Carefully sieve in half of this and then add the eggs.
- Sieve the rest of the flour, mustard and raising agents over the top and whizz briefly.
- Add the milk and whizz again.
- Add the cheese. Whizz until combined: the mixture will remain fairly stiff.
- Spoon into the prepared tin, dividing the mixture as equally as possible.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the buns are springy to the touch and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for a few minutes, as they are very fragile at this stage, and then ease them out gently with a small palette knife.
- Cool on a wire rack. Cover with a clean tea towel to keep them moist and prevent them drying out as they cool.