1.2 kg Total Sweet Xylitol
900g blackcurrants – frozen or fresh
Juice of 1 lemon
We get asked a lot about whether you can make jam with Total Sweet Xylitol. The simple answer is 'yes' and here's a great tasting example to prove just how easy xylitol jam is to make.
- String and wash the blackcurrants, then place into a heavy-based pan with 600mls of water.
- Simmer until the fruit is tender, then add the Total Sweet and lemon juice and stir until completely dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for about 10 to 15 mins.
- To test if set: Take the pan off the heat and put a small amount of the jam on a cold saucer and leave for a few seconds.
- If the jam wrinkles when you push it gently with your finger, it is ready. If not, place back on the heat and boil again for a few minutes.
- Spoon off any scum from the edge of the pan and leave for 15 mins.
- Stir once and pour into warm, sterilised jars.
- Cover with lids whilst warm.