100g soft dates
1 tbsp Total Sweet Xylitol
2 large ripe avocados skin and stone removed
2 limes (juice of)
1 lime (zest of)
2 tbsp Total Sweet Xylitol
2 tbsp cashew butter
This colourful key lime pie created by The Balanced Kitchen is a real treat! Vegan friendly, it's the perfect dessert to take to a dinner party.
1. Place all the base ingredients into a pan and cover with boiled water. Leave to soak for at least 20 mins. This will soften the dates and activate the nuts, releasing enzyme inhibitors allowing for easier digestion.
2. After soaking, pour the pan contents over a sieve, rinse with cold water.
3. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C.
4. Place the ingredients into a food processor and blitz for about 30 seconds until you reach a coarse, grainy consistency.
5. Pour the mixture into a loose bottomed 23cm tart tin and use the back of a spoon to press down the mixture until spread evenly across the bottom and sides of the tin.
6. Place the tart tin in the oven and bake for 15 -20 mins until it starts to go golden on the edges.
7. Remove the tart from the oven, turn off the heat. Carefully remove the tart from the tin (you can leave it on the bottom section. Return it to the oven with the oven still turned off and leave the door open slightly. This will allow the sides to crisp.
8. After about 20 mins, remove the tart base from the oven and allow to cool completely before adding the filling.
1. Place the avocado, lime juice and zest, Total Sweet Xylitol and cashew butter to a jug and use a stick blender to blitz until completely smooth.
2. Pour the filling on top of the base, use a spoon to create an even spread.
3. Serve immediately as it is or top with some of the suggestions below.
Use slices of lime, quinoa pops, raw buckwheat, chia seeds and mint leaves to decorate!