70g unroasted unsalted cashew nuts
50g sugar free cocoa powder
120g Total Sweet xylitol
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
It might sound unusual, but this dairy free ice cream couldn't be easier to make. For those who haven't used xylitol before, please be aware this recipe uses a lot of the sugar alternative and xylitol can have a mild laxative effect in those not used to it.
- Blend the cashews and water together in the blender to make cashew milk.
- Add the cocoa powder, xylitol and vanilla extract and blend again.
- Taste the mixture to make sure it’s sweet enough for you (bearing in mind that the freezing process may make the end product less sweet). If not, add more xylitol.
- If you have an ice cream machine, follow the maker’s instructions from this point on. Otherwise, pour the mixture into a shallow bowl or plastic container, cover with greaseproof paper to prevent ice crystals forming and place in the freezer.
- After ½ to 1 ½ hours, remove from the freezer and stir to break up the crystals. (It is especially important to make sure you stir the edges as this is the part that freezes first.)
- Repeat the process three more times every ½ to 1 hour.
- Freeze for another hour.
- Serve or store in the freezer for future use.