Pickling spices Corriander seeds, yellow mustard seeds, dried chillies, allspice, ginger, black peppercorns and a couple of bay leaves
250g Total Sweet Xylitol
1 small green apple
¾ tbsp salt
500ml white wine vinegar
We don't often think about chutneys containing a lot of sugar, but they can be a hidden source of the sweet stuff. No need to worry too much though as this simple recipe makes a delicious chutney without any added sugar in sight (there's some naturally in the other ingredients though).
- Tie the spices in a muslin bag.
- Cut the courgettes into cubes.
- Place in a large preserving pan, combine with all the other ingredients and tie the muslin bag on to the handle so that it dangles into the mixture.
- Leave it for 24 hours.
- Stir over a low heat to dissolve the Total Sweet gently.
- Cover and simmer for at least an hour, pressing the bags of spices from time to time, until the pieces of courgette are translucent and the liquid is golden and syrupy.
- Pour into warm sterilised jars and cover.